Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Little Politico

Well, I always try to seek opportunities to have "teaching moments" with Alexandra. Last week it was the Amber Alert...this week the election. She naturally was asleep last night as Obama made his acceptance speech...so I took this mornings chain of events to do my "teaching."

Billie had left his "I Voted!" sticker on her toy that she was taking for show and tell today. She grabbed that sticker and put it on her shirt. She knew that yesterday was the day to vote as many of the parents at her school took their children to the polls with them to vote due to the historical outcome either way the vote went.

With this opportunity, I went into the explanation of electing a new president and told her how historical it was, 1st african american, etc. We talked about how his skin is like Riley's in her class and that doesn't make them any different than us, etc.

So, being the fiesty little girl that she is...she walked into her classroom this morning and yelled the following: "Hey guys - we have a new guy in charge and he starts his new job after Christmas." I LOVE HER!

1 comment:

Samantha said...

i love that!! camden and brooks asked lots of questions, and i didn't want to bias them in any way, which is really hard to do. but i did tell them over and over that this was historical!!